Storm alters, but doesn’t hinder, Indians Give

Mr. Tobias

More than 140 students participated in PN-G’s second Indians Give service event, taking part in a dozen various project in locations throughout the community on Saturday, May 18.

NDN Press, Staff Report

Despite an initial delay because of stormy weather, Indians Give took place on Saturday, May 18 throughout the PN-G community.

The one-day service event was originally scheduled for the previous Saturday, May 11, however a severe storm knocked power out for up to 50,000 Entergy Texas customer on the day before.

The storm’s effect were severe enough to cancel not only classes at PN-G ISD, but also classes for several neighboring communities, including Nederland and Port Arthur.

Almost all of the Indians Give service projects were pushed to the later date. One project, a graduation party for four high school foster teens, still took place after the rains ended at The Courtyard
Cafe in Groves.

Led by junior Kaylee Gutierre

z, students collected donations and gifts, such as laptops, mini fridges and other college items.

“All the seniors were so excited, they started crying when opening up the gifts,” Gutierrez said. “I’m very blessed that my group had the opportunity to impact four lives for the better.”

A week later, more than 140 students showed up on an overcast Saturday morning, taking part in projects, such as trash pick-ups, campus beautifications, wheelchair ramp builds and other service

jobs.

According to Principal Scott Ryan, both Port Neches and Groves communities give so much to the high school that many participating students are anxious to join in and give back.

“Many of these kids come up

with projects that are very near and dear to their hearts,” Ryan said. “This is our day to rally together to make an impact on our communities.”