Art students take tops for fourth-straight Law Day contest

Mr. Tobias, Adviser

Two students took first and second place while seven others received honorable mentions as the results of the 2020 Eastern District of Texas Federal Court Law Day Art Contest were announced on Wednesday, May 6.

Junior art student Hannah Robin took first place with her composition titled “Face to the Future,” an award which came with a $1,000 cash prize. Senior art student Jordan Shumard came in second place with her piece titled “I Have a Dream,” an award which came with a cash prize of $750.

“We have won this contest for the fourth time in a row,” art teacher Griseida Bryan said. “I’m very proud of my students.”

Honorable Mentions come with a $50 prize. Students awarded with an Honorable Mention were: Taylor Balsano, junior; Alexis Delgado, senior; Zachary Pitre, junior; Jacob Smith, senior; Karson LaBier, senior; Emily Jordan, senior; and Bianca McManus, junior.

According to a release from U.S. District Judge Marcia A. Crone, 58 entries were submitted from 10 area high schools for this year’s contest, whose theme was “Americans on the Move.” Among the entries, 19 moved on as finalists.

Schools submitting work were Bob Hope, Buna, Evadale, Hull-Daisetta, Huntington, Kelly Catholic, Nederland, Newton, Orangefield and Port Neches-Groves.

“The art work was exceptional and showed how each artist felt that the theme could be best showcased,” Crone wrote in the release. “Your artwork has been framed and is displayed on the second floor of the courthouse for the next year.”