NDN Press claims statewide, regional honors

Mr. Tobias/NDN Press

From left, PN-G Superintendent Dr. Mike Gonzales, seniors Brittany Batson, Trinity Chance, and Payton Lee, junior Halee Rhoades and Assistant Superintendent Julie Gauthier.

Landon Mangus, NDN PRESS

Last summer, NDN Press journalism students won achievements in multiple categories from the Interscholastic League Press Conference and the Press Club of Southeast Texas.

“There are contests throughout the year the year for Journalism,” said Michael Tobias, journalism adviser. “It’s great to be recognized for our effort.”

Students that were recognized for achievements from the ILPC include Payton Lee, Brittany Batson, Halee Rhoades, Brooke Sutton, and Trinity Chance.

“It was super exciting to see my name on the list,” Payton Lee, senior and journalism student, said. “I am really proud of it, and I am really proud of everyone. We all try our best.”

PN-G won first place for “Best Use of Student Produced High School Media” from the Press Club of Southeast Texas. This was the first year the Press Club acknowledged high school work.

“It’s great to see your students succeed,” Tobias said. “Everyone puts in an awesome job all year, and I love that.”

Journalism classes at PN-G include newspaper, photojournalism, and yearbook.

“I would recommend anyone to take journalism, for writing, photo or social media,” Tobias said.

“I think that if you can take a picture with your phone, then you could take a picture with a camera.”

Advanced photojournalism students take pictures of all school sponsored games and other events.

“The most important part is being available,” Tobias said. “Everyone shoots one assignment per week, and 100 photos per assignment. You really just need to be here and be involved.”