Seniors Evelyn Barcenas, left, and Rosalina Cruz Ortiz practice their cosmetology skills on dummy heads. Clients pay for services, but mainly to cover the cost of materials. (Emily Bean)
Seniors Evelyn Barcenas, left, and Rosalina Cruz Ortiz practice their cosmetology skills on dummy heads. Clients pay for services, but mainly to cover the cost of materials.

Emily Bean

Trimming off time toward certifications

Cosmetology students gain practical experience in class

January 7, 2019

The cosmetology class is accepting appointments for the variety of services they offer to clients and teachers. Appointments can be scheduled from Noon-2 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays in room 1010.

‘’Anyone in the general public can schedule an appointment,’’ said Donna Cathey, cosmetology teacher. ‘’The only people that can’t schedule are students, since we do clients during school hours.’’

The cosmetology class offers minimal prices, ranging from $3-$12, on their treatments, which include manicures, pedicures, facials, eyebrow waxes, shampoo sets and others.

‘’We aren’t looking to make a profit,’’ says Mrs.Cathey. ‘’We really just want our students to get practical experience.’’

Students who take cosmetology are trained to be professional stylists, working toward an actual certification.

‘’Our students have to clock in 1000 hours to be eligible for the state board,’’ said Mrs. Cathey. ‘’I try to have my students be as busy as possible so they can get real-life experience.’’

Clients who get things done at the cosmetology class usually do so to support PN-G.

‘’I come to PN-G to get my hair done to help the students,’’ said Jessie Howard. ‘’ I’ve been coming since I’ve retired from teaching.’’

NDN Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in