HOSA battling the COVID-19 Pandemic

Landon Mangus, NDN Press

The Health Occupations Students of America organization, known better to students as HOSA,  is a student organization which prepares students to enter the healthcare field. This year, HOSA students are facing unique challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, seniors in HOSA this year will not be able to get the experience they normally would. 

“My class was especially excited to go to places like the nursing home,” Lauren Thompson, HOSA president, said. “I’ve spent the last four years thinking about things I could do, but here I am. It’s one of those milestones that we look forward to doing, but we really can’t.”

The procedures learned in HOSA classes include hygiene protocols relevant to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“You learn proper sanitation,” Thompson said. “Recently, we learned how to wash our hands properly. You would think the way you normally do it would be efficient, but if you put it to the test, you might find it’s actually kind of disgusting.” 

Seniors in HOSA have opportunities to get experience working at nursing homes and hospitals during the school day. 

“HOSA are classes for students interested in the medical field,” Sherrie Fontenot, HOSA sponsor, said. “That includes any profession you can think of that relates to the medical field.”

“Students in HOSA can really explore what type of career they want to go into,” Fontenot said. “Seniors get hands-on experience with a variety of occupations. I try to make the class beneficial for students looking to get into all types of medical careers”

Students who were in HOSA have gone on to pursue careers in a variety of fields. 

“HOSA gives you the opportunity to see tons of things you wouldn’t get to, otherwise,” Thompson said. “You can see things you would have never even thought of, all within the school schedule.”