Students ready for a Night to Shine

Dr. Scott Ryan

Cheer teams from PN-G, Nederland and Memorial high schools line the entrance to last year’s Night To Shine prom, presented by the Tim Tebow Foundation.

Halee Rhoades, NDN Press

Ridgewood Church will host its second Night to Shine prom on Friday, Feb. 7. 

Sponsored by the Tim Tebow Foundation, the Night to Shine is a prom night experience for students with special needs ages 14 and older.

Aaron Gonzales, senior, attended the event last year — and was crowned king during the event at the Port Arthur church. He plans to attend and is looking forward to Friday night.

“I danced — it was fun,” Gonzales said. “I like it when I was crowned king.”

Night to Shine was held for the first time locally last year the Friday before Valentine’s Day and is becoming a worldwide movement that is changing the holiday from simply a celebration of love, to a celebration of God’s love for people with special needs and the value of life. 

“Well, all people deserve a night to be a star,” Jon Deckert, Student Activities Director, said. “This organization provides the means for not only students to have a wonderful night, but the staff as well.”

RM3 Productions

According to the foundation’s website, Night to Shine was hosted last year by 655 churches across all 50 states and in 24 countries — honoring more than 100K guests. This year is the event’s sixth anniversary.

“How could PN-G not want to be a part of this?” Mr. Deckert said. “I have a strong heart for the special needs community, and I am sure others do, too.”

Those still wishing to volunteer and participate,  but missed last week’s informational meeting, should contact Mr. Deckert in the Student Activities Office.

Click the video above to see footage from last year’s successful, first local event.